Wednesday, February 20, 2008

GBBC: Wrap up

And here is the finally tally from my 2008 Great Backyard Bird Count. In total, I submitted six checklists over the four day period, two from our place outside of Horseheads, NY, one from Mendon Ponds Park in Mendon, NY, and three from my parents place outside of Rochester, NY. My grand total this year was 28 species, ten below what I recorded on the 2007 GBBC, even though last year's count included observations from our house, my folks place, and Mendon Ponds. Why such a big difference? A single 15 minute stop from Seneca Lake State Park, where I stopped en route to my folks place last year. This site on the northern end of Seneca Lake yielded waterfowl and gulls not found this year. If only I had timed my trip differently this year.

Anyway, here are the birds from this year's count.

Canada Goose - Branta canadensis
Red-tailed Hawk - Buteo jamaicensis
Mourning Dove - Zenaida macroura
Red-bellied Woodpecker - Melanerpes carolinus
Downy Woodpecker - Picoides pubescens
Hairy Woodpecker - Picoides villosus
Northern Flicker - Colaptes auratus
Blue Jay - Cyanocitta cristata
American Crow - Corvus brachyrhynchos
Common Raven - Corvus corax
Black-capped Chickadee - Poecile atricapillus
Tufted Titmouse - Baeolophus bicolor
Red-breasted Nuthatch - Sitta canadensis
White-breasted Nuthatch - Sitta carolinensis
Eastern Bluebird - Sialia sialis
American Robin - Turdus migratorius
Northern Mockingbird - Mimus polyglottos
European Starling - Sturnus vulgaris
Cedar Waxwing - Bombycilla cedrorum
American Tree Sparrow - Spizella arborea
White-crowned Sparrow - Zonotrichia leucophrys
Dark-eyed Junco - Junco hyemalis
Northern Cardinal - Cardinalis cardinalis
Brown-headed Cowbird - Molothrus ater
House Finch - Carpodacus mexicanus
Common Redpoll - Carduelis flammea
American Goldfinch - Carduelis tristis
House Sparrow - Passer domesticus
Locations of visitors to this page